Re: added note warning about use of placeholder as a label

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:06:33AM +0000, Jay Munro wrote:
> --- suggestion
> Note: The placeholder<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/forms.html#attr-input-placeholder> attribute should not be used as a replacement for a label<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/forms.html#the-label-element> because the placeholder text disappears when the field gets focus. This can reduce accessibility and usability of the input control for users who view documents using screen readers or other assistive technology, or need a little more time to see a prompt.

Not only because the placeholder text disappears. Some users may never see the light-grey-on-white placeholder, some users of AT may never hear it, we lose the larger clickable area labels offer, and users may see placeholders as default values and consider them pre-filled and skip them without closer look.

Examples of more reasons.

--Mallory