Re: using the data* attribute to identify element sub roles

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:40:36 -0800
To: public-html@w3.org
Hi Steve,

You wrote:

>>What's a sub role?
>
> its a more granular classification of a role.
>
> For example in the OSX accessibility API all HTML elements have a role
> and a subrole property

Ahh, I see. So, yeah, just like AXRole maps onto the WAI-ARIA role=""
attribute, AXSubrole would map onto a hypothetical aria-subrole=""
attribute, should such an attribute be added to WAI-ARIA.

Luckily, aria-subrole="" can get the aria- prefix (like all other
WAI-ARIA attributes but role="") because it doesn't have the compat
issues that role="" has that prevented us from fixing its name.[1]

Ted

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Oct/0004.html