Re: use of placeholder as a label for an input

<chair hat off>

I think there are two counterpoints to consider:
- It's generally not a great idea to have MUST NOT criteria that are not machine checkable; whether placeholder is being used a "an alternative to label" depends on intent and interpretation of the contents.
- This pattern appears to be pretty common and a MUST NOT seems

Also: You haven't explained why using a palceholder without any other label is insufficient. To make this concrete, consider the search box on <http://www.reddit.com>, which has a placeholder of "search reddit" and no other label. What concretely is the problem with this? There may be a reason this is bad, but you have not explained to the WG what it is.

Regards,
Maciej