Re: using the data* attribute to identify element sub roles

> From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:26:52 +0000
> To: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
> NOTE: this is just a wild idea.
>
> allow the data attribute [1] to be used to identify element sub roles:
>
> examples:
>
> <h1>heading</h1> <p data-p="subheading">subheading</p>
>
> <article data-article="comment"> blog post comment </article>
>
> allow data-elementname="subRole" pairs to be added to a public registry.
>
> thoughts?
I don't understand the logic of the data-attribute yet. Shouldn't there be a reference to which the attribute refers?
In that case to the h1-element. That means, for me it would be logical to have:
> <h1>heading</h1> <p data-h1="subheading">subheading</p>

But then the semantics is away for the element attribute itself.
I think I have a lack on use-cases here to can think of if this could work and is useful.

/ Anselm
Anselm Hannemann
@helloanselm