Re: Polyglot markup and authors

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 01:44:34 +0100
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
Alex Russell, Sun, 17 Feb 2013 22:06:01 +0000:
> On Feb 17, 2013 3:17 PM, "Mukul Gandhi" wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Alex Russell wrote:

>> legacy HTML -> polyglot converter -> polyglot markup
>>
>> This functionality can be present outside the browser environment,
>> or/and within the browser.
>
> You may be confused. A "polyglot converter" is simply an html-to-xml
> (or back) conversion. Many tools enable this today. The term
> "polyglot", in this discussion, refers to a property of documents,
> not their processing pipelines. Exporting to a polyglot subset might
> be a feature of these tools, but would not appear to have aided you
> in the problem you initially described.

Regarding export versus import, then this was the initial problem:

Mukul Gandhi, Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:22:09 +0530:
> I had a use case very recently to process an HTML document, which was non
> well-formed in XHTML/XML sense so as to be processable with an XML too
> chain. It seems, that polyglot markup would have helped me write my
> application.

If a non-well-formed HTML document had to be be converted to XHTML
before being processed, then why not choose to convert to polyglot
xhtml? That sounds like a good strategy to me. Polyglot Markup is
currently the only description of how a XHTML5 document should look
like. One could pick another flavor of XHTML5 - or perhaps treat it as
pure XML. But by converting it to polyglot XHTML5 before processing,
the export step becomes very simple - depending (of course) on how it
is processed, you might be able to skip the export step.
--
leif halvard silli