Re: Polyglot markup and authors

From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:47:03 +0530
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>wrote:

> How would it have helped? Did you control the source of the document?
> Could you in some way guarantee well-formedness from the publisher?

For the application I was working with, I had no control on the source of
document since it was produced by a legacy process. I cannot guarantee
well-formedness from the publisher.

> Polyglot only helps those who know  or control the parseability of the
> documents they process.

I agree.

But I do feel, having a polyglot document structure improves
interoperability of information represented by them. As I thought in my
previous mail within this thread, I think the following processing would
help HTML/XHTML/XML users,

legacy HTML -> polyglot converter -> polyglot markup

This functionality can be present outside the browser environment, or/and
within the browser.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi