Re: Polyglot markup and authors

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:27:17 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net> wrote:
>> So, where are the guidelines for authors to avoid these pathological
>> cases?
>
> If you write HTML per the standard you'll be fine

A concrete example (backing up Anne's statement):

<!DOCTYPE html>
   <head>
     <title>foo</title>
   </head>
       <tbody>
       </tbody>

The above is well formed XML.  It isn't valid HTML.  The problem is the
bogus paragraph.  This complicates streaming as HTML5 requires the bogus
paragraph to be retained but to be inserted immediately prior to the
table element.  Try it in the browser of your choice to see what I mean.

- Sam Ruby