Re: Polyglot markup and authors

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:02:08 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Now there are some pathological cases in HTML that require a tree to
> do the right thing, but overall it's very much streamable and because
> the semantics are closely-coupled can be made faster than an XML
> parser.

So, where are the guidelines for authors to avoid these pathological
cases?  Wouldn't the PG document serve such purpose?

Still, it doesn't matter for my example if the HTML parser is faster
than XML (which I've not noticed); the latency of sending all that HTML
templating with every request is still higher than caching it in the
browser as XSLT, and transforming XML on the fly.

Also, given that my desktop CPU is twice as fast as that on my server,
putting the XSLT on the client reduces transformation latency, not just
CPU cycles on the server, in the event of a cache miss.  Better user-
perceived performance is the result for most consumer CPUs.

-Eric