Re: Level of interest in "HTML: The Markup Language" and "HTML5: Edition for Web Authors"

Hi Robin,

I think both of these documents are in theory very useful. As they are
strict subsets (i believe) of the HTML spec, so the information they
contain is not an interpretation of what the spec says.

What would make them useful in practice:

   - As Ian notes, that users and developers are aware of them.
   - they are kept up to date
   - their design/formatting is optimised for usability and accessibility
   not constrained by pubrules and use of standard W3C style sheets.

note: I know mike[tm] has given them love, and they are there due to his
work, but his time like all of us is limited and taken up with competing
priorities.
Do they need to be bound by the strict WG publication process for normative
specs - probably not.
Would they benefit from being maintained by the W3C - probably.
Do they need to be actively maintained - definitely.
Do they need to be activley promoted by he W3C as useful resources -
definitely.

Maybe a CG?

regards
SteveF