Re: Level of interest in "HTML: The Markup Language" and "HTML5: Edition for Web Authors"

Hi,

To be honest I wasn't really aware of either of them but now that I see
them I'm likely to use them in the future if they're maintained.

HTML: The Markup Language seems perfect for people who want to know the
difference between HTML 4.01 and HTML5 and I would direct them there.

HTML5: Edition for Web Authors is better for pointing people to as it
ignores all the UA stuff. I could have used this yesterday for a HTML5
Doctor article I was writing and in fact I'm going to change the link in
that article to this version as it's a lot more relevant.

So, no, I haven't used them, but I will in the future (depending on their
future!)

Regards,

Ian

On 11 February 2013 17:58, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> over time the HTML WG has accrued a fair number of documents that it needs
> to shepherd. I am wondering if it might make sense to review some of those
> to see if we really need to keep maintaining them ourselves.
>
> Two of those that I had in mind are:
>
> HTML: The Markup Language
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/html-**markup/<http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/>
>
> HTML5: Edition for Web Authors
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-**author/<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-author/>
>
> Do you or people around you actually use these documents? Note that I'm
> not asking if there's a hypothetical "Jane Web Developer" you haven't met
> who uses them. I'm asking if you use them yourselves, or if you see people
> using them, referring to them, etc. around you.
>
> The idea is not necessarily to lose the content, but quite possibly it
> could be given over to the community running WebPlatform Docs (
> http://www.webplatform.org/). They're doing a great job producing web
> developer documentation and they would be much better placed than we to
> foster such content. If we all agree here that we should focus on specs and
> leave professional quality documentation to professionals of quality
> documentation then I'm happy to coordinate with them in taking either one
> or both of these over.
>
> --

ian devlin
e: ian@iandevlin.com