Re: Is the current definition of the article element in HTML useful?

Hi Chaals,

>Yes. Likewise for search engines (and probably other systems that try to
process web content), people using the article element in this way is
actually helpful.

can you give us some insight on how it would be more useful for a serach
engine than using a list to markup comments?

for example:

<article>

<h1> my blog post</h1>

<article>
<h2> comments</h2>

<ol>
</ol>

</article>
</article>

>Skipping the use of article because screenreaders are overly verbose might
be a short-term hack that breaks a long-term benefit, assuming that
screenreaders >will improve their handling.

This isn't the only issue btw. Another issue is that the set size is not
defined/exposed when articles are used where as they are when a list is
used.

so there is no clear method for AT to know the start and end of the
comments content when marked up using article alone.

regards
steveF

<http://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/wat-ie-about.html>