Re: updated cite definition - please review

2013-08-27 17:19, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> On 23 August 2013 12:52, Jukka K. Korpela <jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi
> <mailto:jukka.k.korpela@kolumbus.fi>> wrote:

[...]

>     Changing things in a manner that has no effect on implementations
>     seems rather futile. The only real effect would be added confusion
>     among people who try to take semantic definitions seriously and
>     continued debate over "semantics".
>

> Not futile for authors who think that use of cite should be allowed
> for marking up in-text attributions, which the (revised proposal
> allows) as well as the title of works

My previous question still has no answer: what impact would this have?

If it’s a matter of allowing the use of markup, as an end, it is best to
specify that <cite> may be used for anything. What could be more permissive?

It can hardly be useful to have an element that has such vague semantics
that it may mean a title of a work or a person or an organization.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/