W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > August 2013

Re: Proposal for the deprecation of <blockquote>

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:21:38 +0100
Message-ID: <CA+ri+V=E1YzJT2bVuSMGLgGQ-sR_idhdEing_UZyDu1U5r-rOA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>, Heydon Pickering <heydon@heydonworks.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Leif,

I am unclear about the how the concept of quotations including structured
code and how often this would occur, It seems misdirection to expect that
code inside the blockquote is from the quoted source and that only code
from a quoted source is used inside a blockquote, what happens if the
source does not include code or is not from a HTML source?

Think it would be better to conclude that the content of the blockquote is
the text not the code used to format it.

--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>


On 19 August 2013 14:15, Leif Halvard Silli <
xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:

> Hi Steve. There could be two <footer> elements in the blockquote - one
> inside a quoted <article>, and one outside the quoted <article>. Would
> the AT user then be able to discern the footers from each others?
> Example:
>
> <blockquote><article>The Quote.
>             <footer>About The Article.</footer></article>
>             <footer>About the Quote.</footer></blockquote>
>
> I also wonder whether the user, in the following example, would
> perceive the footer as a footer relating to the <h1> element (and its
> implied section) or as a footer relating to the <blockelement> - seems
> only the content of the <footer> would enable the user to know:
>
> <blockquote><h1>Quoted heading</h1>
>             <p>Quoted body text</p>
>             <footer>About the Quote</footer></blockquote>
>
> Your argument in the bug[1] is that the spec says that <footer> is
> related to "nearest ancestor  sectioning root element". However, the
> spec says the same about <heading> and <h1>-<h6>, thus it is not
> logical to take that wording to mean that <footer> speaks about the
> quotation - at the meta level, any more than it is logical to assume
> the same about <header> and <h1>-<h6>.
>
> With a new, dedicated element that is *only* permitted as direct child
> of <blockquote> (just as <figcaption> is only permitted as direct child
> of <figure>), would solve these problem and be easier to understand,
> use and present to the user.
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=22996#c9
>
> Leif Halvard Silli
>
> Steve Faulkner replied, Mon, 19 Aug 2013 11:58:04 +0100:
> > AT such as JAWS Announces when the virtual cursor enters or exits a
> > blockquote element. Navigate by and list instances of blockquote element
> in
> > document.
> >
> > And JAWS also recognises and announces <footer>
> >
> > so for the example code:
> >
> > <blockquote>
> >   <p>The blockquote element represents a section that is quoted from
> > another source.</p>
> >     <footer> <cite><a href="
> >
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element
> ">W3C
> > HTML5 specification</a></cite></footer>
> > </blockquote>
> >
> > The use of the footer element is an improvement to user experience as it
> > identifies the citation as content information.
>
Received on Monday, 19 August 2013 13:22:46 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 29 October 2015 10:16:34 UTC