Re: Proposal for the deprecation of <blockquote>

From: daniel.glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:42:54 +0200
To: <public-html@w3.org>
On 2013-08-15 13:30, Heydon Pickering wrote:
> I'm writing to propose the deprecation of the <blockquote> element in
> favour of a slight modification to author advice regarding the
> <figure> and corresponding <figcaption> elements.
>
> The problem with <blockquote>

I am opposed to that proposal for many reasons (excuse the
brevity of my prose, I'm away with very limited connectivity
and I decided to step in because of the huge impact on my editor
BlueGriffon):

1. <blockquote> is mainstream. Nobody can say it's unused. Blogs
    use it all over the place, news web sites use it efficiently
    and with correct semantics.

2. <blockquote> is implemented by _all_ wysiwyg content editors.

3. an unperfect technology used by billions of web sites may be
    unperfect AND still be successful. I doubt people are going to
    change behaviour because they obey to twenty years old habits
    and blog systems/editors/filters won't change easily.

4. email user agents rely heavily on <blockquote> when one replies
    to a message.

</Daniel>