Re: Proposal for the deprecation of <blockquote>

2013-08-16 14:10, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> Ok so reading the various historical threads and articles on the issue
> there appears to be good reasons for allowing the use of <cite> in
> context of an citing an author as well as a title of a work.

I don't think I saw any actual reason, but that's really immaterial.

> Looking at how cite is used in the wild [1] it is often used in this way.

Looking at the collection of actual usage, although it is often
difficult to guess what the content really is and why <cite> is used, it
becomes evident that software processing HTML documents cannot make any
assumptions about the meaning of <cite>. Since people use e.g.
Fairfax Media</cite>, there's nothing semantic we can assume. The only
thing that we can reasonably infer is that authors probably wanted the
text to appear in italic, since that's how browsers actually render
<cite>, and that's all they do with it.

Since <cite> is in practice just one of the ways to italicize text
authors haven't used it that way inside <blockquote> elements, too. So
assigning a semantic role to it when appearing in <blockquote> would be
arbitrary and lead to wrong conclusions about existing documents.

The practical impact would be small, if no software would actually do
something based on a definition that says that <cite> somehow
semantically relates to an enclosing <blockquote>. But if programs won't
do such things, what does it matter which markup is used for quotations
amd citations?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/