Re: TextTrack API changes

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:

>  On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:
>

>>   From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:23 PM
>> To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
>> Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, "Jerry Smith, (WINDOWS)" <
>> jdsmith@microsoft.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Bob Lund <
>> b.lund@cablelabs.com>, Mark Vickers <mark_vickers@cable.comcast.com>
>>
>> Subject: Re: TextTrack API changes
>>
>    I'm prepared to add the .text and getCueAsHTML() interfaces to
>> TextTrackCue if there is a definition of another XXXCue interface that has
>> these.
>>
>>  There is a definition for in-band MPEG-2 TS text tracks here
>> http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/CL-SP-HTML5-MAP-I02-120510.pdf that
>> is normatively referenced by the DLNA HTML5 Remote UI spec. This defines
>> use of the TextTrackCue text and getCueAsHTML attributes.
>>

>  Thanks! Is this a spec that you are trying to standardize? Is this going
> through MPEG?
>
>  I can see that several time getCueAsHTML() has to be defined to return
> "null" in this document, because you don't need it. That indicates that it
> makes sense not to have it on TextTrackCue.
>

>  No, it is needed for the closed caption type of text track. getCueAsHTML
> is how script would get access control rendering of the Cue. The reason it
> is not used for other text track data types, for instance subtitles, is we
> wanted to minimize the text track types that the UA is required to
> recognize. However, if a UA CAN render a particular type of text track then
> getCueAsHTML would be the standard way for script to control rendering,
> just as was done for closed captions.
>
>  It seems to me that it would almost always be the case that a text track
> format that can be rendered by the UA could use getCueAsHTML to provide
> access to script.

What do you mean by "provide access to script"? Do you mean: handing over
the parsed data to JavaScript? Both .text and getCueAsHTML() do that.

   Even for the caption case the document states "getCueAsHTML() returns a
> DocumentFragment with an HTML representation of the TextTrackCue text
> attribute as defined in [HTML5], if the UA knows how to create such a
> representation. Otherwise, getCueAsHTML returns null." - that would only
> work for WebVTT captions IIUC.
>

>  No, we do that for 708 captions in our implementation.

So you convert the 708 captions into HTML for rendering? That's the
specification that I am after... do you have a link to how that is done?

Thanks,
Silvia.