Re: Week 14/15: Staged WHATWG patches for HTML5.1

Oops, I meant to write "This *is* repeating information that is defined in
the <main> element."

So, what this patch does is the following: it adds to the elements <aside>,
<main> element as their descendants. That's just repeating something that
we already have defined in the <main> element, where we say:

Contexts in which this element can be
used<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#element-dfn-contexts>
: Where flow content<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#flow-content-1>
 is expected, but with no
article<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#the-article-element>
, aside<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#the-aside-element>
, footer<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#the-footer-element>
, header<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#the-header-element>
 or nav<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#the-nav-element>
 element ancestors.

The only element for which we are not repeating this information is the
<article> element. I guess that's because Ian believes there is a
possibility to put <main> inside <article> elements. We could extend the
patch to also be applied to <article> to say:

Contexts in which this element can be
used<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#element-dfn-contexts>
: Where flow content<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/single-page.html#flow-content-1>
 is expected, but with no main element descendants .

This would make it clear in both directions (ancestors and descendants).

That's all.

Silvia.