Re: [HTMLWG] CR Exit Criteria redux

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm not yet convinced that it is a good idea to conflate determining that the spec is of
> sufficient quality to support independent interoperable implementation with determining
> that the feature is compatible with the existing web.

 A specification for which independent interoperable implementations
can be written is not useful for the Web if it is not compatible with
existing Web content.

> Those seem like distinct problems,
> the latter one being approached differently by different organisations and with different
> tolerances to incompatibility.

I think one of the main risks of letting spec text get to REC in a
Web-incompatible state is that Microsoft implements said spec text as
a new mode in IE so that the new mode doesn't need to be compatible
with existing Web content and other browser developers are then faced
with the problem of not interoperating with IE, breaking the Web or
getting burdened by the cost of adding new modes.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi