Re: Issue 30 (Was: RE: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:43:15 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Cc: Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Sam Ruby, Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:36:13 -0400:
> We have evidence that longdesc works well in education settings that
> exist behind copyright restrictions, and authors of addons quite
> willing to fill in gaps that major browser vendors may leave:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Sep/0382.html
>
> We also have indications that longdesc as currently defined is not
> quite as successful in non-educational non-copyright restricted
> settings:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Sep/0295.html

Quite a few of the use cases that the longdesc Change Proposal
identifies are 'restricted' in one way or another. Take for instance
the HTML newsletter e-mail use case. For one, embedded content in HTML
e-mail is a big issue in itself. My e-mail program allows me to disable
and enable image display. But it does not allow me to see embedded
iframes it. My old client, Thunderbirds by default blocks external
content - but allows me to enable, including iframe.

Leif Halvard Silli