RE: [HTML-AAPI] placeholder implementation issues

Please open a bug against the html to aapi mapping doc.  I'll put it on the agenda for Tuesday's call as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 11:17 AM
To: 'Steve Faulkner'; 'HTMLWG WG'
Cc: 'Jason Kiss'; Cynthia Shelly
Subject: RE: [HTML-AAPI] placeholder implementation issues

I agree

Cheers
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
  "Enabling the Web"
www.Can-Adapt.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: September-14-12 7:13 AM
To: HTMLWG WG
Cc: Jason Kiss; Cynthia Shelly
Subject: [HTML-AAPI] placeholder implementation issues

Hi all,

I am concerned about the (accessibility) implementation of placeholder in browsers, we now have a number of browsers that use the placeholder string in the accessible name calculation, but there are differences in when the placeholder content is exposed depending upon the other sources available for the accessible name.[1] This leads to a situation where developers cannot rely upon the information in the placeholder being exposed to users across browsers and platforms.

i.e. its an interoperability issue.

what i suggest we need to do is look at the current implementations and work out which is the most desirable and see if we can get browser implementers to converge on that.

any thoughts?

[1] http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/placeholder-labelling.html

--
with regards