[HTML-AAPI] placeholder implementation issues

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:12:47 +0100
To: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: Jason Kiss <jason@accessibleculture.org>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>
Hi all,

I am concerned about the (accessibility) implementation of placeholder
in browsers, we now have a number of browsers that use the placeholder
string in the accessible name calculation, but there are differences
in when the placeholder content is exposed depending upon the other
sources available for the accessible name.[1]
This leads to a situation where developers cannot rely upon the
information in the placeholder being exposed to users across browsers
and platforms.

i.e. its an interoperability issue.

what i suggest we need to do is look at the current implementations
and work out which is the most desirable and see if we can get browser
implementers to converge on that.

any thoughts?

[1] http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/placeholder-labelling.html

--