RE: Please put in interim text for the ISSUE-204 statement about exposing semantics of hidden content

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:06:20 -0700
To: "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>, "'Jonas Sicking'" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "'Edward O'Connor'" <eoconnor@apple.com>, <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I think that's a good thought.

> Jonas Sicking wrote:
> >
> > Could we at least add language saying that this is only applicable
> > until a sizable portion of UAs have implemented the ability to expose
> > the full semantic content to users.
> >
> > Otherwise we'll be making poor recommendations, which is exactly what
> > that sentence is trying to avoid doing.

Respectfully, that is a really bad idea.

One of the most oft cursed phrases of WCAG 1 was "Until user agents ..."
(http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#until-user-agents) - here,
what is sizable, when and who decides, what happens to backward
compatibility, etc., etc.?

I would strenuously urge this Working Group to not fall into that trap again
- it caused significant confusion and consternation prior to the release and
adoption of WCAG 2.

Cheers!

JF