Re: [HTMLWG] CfC: Adopt "Plan 2014" and make some specific related decisions

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:43:42 -0700
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, public-html@w3.org
To: Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com>

On Oct 13, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Mathew Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com> wrote:

> In my experience, the implementors in the WHATWG can be fairly quick to propose and implement a featureóMaciej Stachowiak mentioned starting work on a native `srcset` implementation in the #whatwg IRC channel long before its extension specification was published. This leaves us with a fairly uneven playing field: if members of the WHATWG are key decision-makers in terms of features that see immediate implementation, all proposals but theirs are at a disadvantage.

<chair hat off>

Here are some relevant points:

- The WebKit project generally considers inclusion in the WHATWG spec to be sufficient in order to implement a feature, even if the feature is not in any w3c spec (get/putImageDataHD is a recent example). I believe this is true for other vendors too.
- Relative to addition to the WHATWG spec, we waited a fair bit before even looking at srcset, in part due to the initial controversy, but were heartened by the addition of aspects of srcset to the <picture> proposal.
- The incomplete implementation of srcset I started on only currently supports the "x" specifier so it's to some extent a common subset between <picture> and srcset. (I hope to get back to it soon, it is sort of a hobby project for me).
- I don't see strong project consensus in favor of  implementing <picture> in WebKit at this time, and mixed feelings about the "w"/"h" specifiers of srcset.

You are correct more generally that proposals with implementor buy-in (at the level of people who write code and/or make feature decisions) are likely to be at an advantage, particularly in a standards process that at some point requires implementations to advance.

Regards,
Maciej