W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > November 2012

Formal Objections on REC-track status of polyglot and alt-techniques

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 09:15:50 -0800
Message-id: <7E1C7496-8F32-466B-B7B5-6D8085774D97@apple.com>
Cc: public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>

Henri & Lachlan,

At the time we discussed Note track vs REC at TPAC, I did not mention anything about withdrawing Formal Objections, temporarily or otherwise.  I simply did not think about it. 

After thinking about it and discussing, I've concluded that it would be better to have a Working Group Decision before having a Formal Objection, for the sake of process clarity. It may not seem effective to ask for objections to be fully withdrawn that may be reinstated. So I'd like to ask you guys if you are willing to make your Formal Objections to polyglot and alt-techniques being on the REC track conditional, specifically on the Working Group actually deciding to go to CR with these documents[*]. 

That is how Manu framed his objection to Microdata for instance - not a Formal Objection yet, but will be if the Working Group decides to proceed. That seems like a good way to do things while leaving room for a WG decision first.

It's not explicitly a requirement of the WG Decision Policy to do this. So we will not necessarily gate the preference poll on such a statement. However, I think it would be a good thing to do, so I'd like to ask the two of you to consider it.

Regards,
Maciej


[*] To pre-emptively address potential worries: if WG decides to proceed with these documents on the REC track, this approach will still result in your Formal Objections being forwarded to the Director to consider as part of the CR transition and will not prejudice them in any way.
Received on Thursday, 29 November 2012 17:16:25 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 29 November 2012 17:16:27 GMT