Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

Leif Halvard Silli writes:

> Smylers, Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:02:18 +0000:
>
> > Lachlan Hunt writes:
> >
> > > Subject to the condition that the spec clearly states that
> > > everything else in the document is non-normative, I would be
> > > satisfied with a normative definition of the term "polyglot
> > > markup" (or similar) as being markup that conforms with the
> > > intersection of the HTML and XHTML serialisations, such that the
> > > markup meets the following constraints:
> > >
> > > 1. Conforms to the syntactic requirements of the HTML serialisation
> > > 2. Conforms to the syntactic requirements of the XHTML serialisation
> > >    (including well-formedness)
> > > 3. Results in a *conforming document* when parsed with either an HTML or
> > >    XML parser
> > > 4. Results in equivalent tree representations (e.g. DOM) when parsed
> > >    using either HTML or XML parsers, subject to the known exceptions
> > >    for:
> > >    a. xml, xmlns and xlink namespaced attributes,
> > >    b. Any insignificant differences in the value of textContent
> > >       for script and style elements.
> > >    c. Any semantically insignificant whitespace differences.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > It sounds like we may be able to get consensus (or at least a lack
> > of formal objections) around that.
>
> For me to not object this, the principles would need to be extended
> with a 5th principle:
>
>   5. Limits itself to "the encoding" - that is: UTF-8.

To be clear, Leif, are you saying that you will raise a Formal Objection
unless the Polyglot spec normatively requires that polyglot HTML must be
in UTF-8?

In particular, are you saying you would raise a Formal Objection in
either of the following situations?

  α The Polyglot spec strongly urges authors to use UTF-8, with
    explanations as to its advantages, but doesn't normatively require
    it for conforming polyglot HTML.

  β The term "polyglot HTML" (or "polyglot markup" or whatever) is
    defined as Lachlan outlines above but there is a second term
    ("helmet HTML", or whatever you want) normatively defined -- either
    in the same spec or a different one -- as being polyglot HTML with
    certain additional restrictions, including that the encoding be
    UTF-8.

Cheers

Smylers

PS: I am (fairly obviously) subscribed to this mailing list, and will
see replies sent to the list; please don't also CC me. Thanks.

--
New series of TV puzzle show 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect