Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

David Carlisle, Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:21:29 +0000:
> On 06/11/2012 10:52, Smylers wrote:
>> Would anybody else object to the description parts of the Polyglot
>> spec not being normative (so long as the definition is)?
>
> What I think it should be (which isn't quite what it is now, probably)
> is that the spec should be on REC track and should normatively define
> the name of the profile/subset and normatively define that subset, but
> that subset should be defined via _syntax_.
>
> Any statements that documents that obey that syntax produce the same DOM
> in text/html and application/xml parsing should not be normative as the
> effect of parsing a given document (and thus whether the two results are
> the same) is normatively defined elsewhere.
>
> This is not much different from say the MathML profile for CSS
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/mathml-for-css/
>
> which is a REC.

This sounds like a good idea, in a way. From this perspective, it would
be permitted to use <noscript></noscript> in Polyglot Markup, I guess.
And why not? I guess one can emulate how it works, via JavaScript and
CSS.

But I think that those that are eager to point out the difference
between XML and HTML, would not be very happy with it. Because they
would fear that people would choose XML syntax "just because it is
good", without understanding the rest of it.
--
leif halvard silli