Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

On 6.11.2012 11:52, Smylers wrote:

>> But in usual standards meaning profile is clearly defined subset and
>> such subset can define additional requirements like allowing only
>> UTF-8 in order to make interop easier.
>
> The Polyglot spec doesn't claim to be a profile; the word "profile" does
> not appear anywhere in it.

Profile is term used in ISO, I don't know whether W3C slang uses it as
well or have something similar. Although not saying it explicitly
Polyglot spec in fact defines what would be called HTML5 profile in ISO,
or subset between mortal people.

>> No, Polyglot has to explicitly define that only allowed encoding is
>> UTF-8 because we want polyglot to use only UTF-8
>
> Who's the "we" that wants that?

Working Group, or even wider Web community -- I don't expect that anyone
sensible would promote UTF-16 as a recommended encoding.

> If there are to be additional restrictions then yes, indeed they have to
> be normative. I'd also suggest they need to be clearly distinguished
> from the requirements that are implied by being the intersection of XML
> and text/html, so that it is clear to anybody reading the spec that
> these are additional things they need to do.

If anyone wants to do this detective excercise to figure out whether
some restriction comes from HTML5 spec, XML spec, legacy browsers
behaviour, ... then he is certainly free to do it and it would be
interesting to have this in the spec. But I doubt that average reader of
polyglot spec would be interested in this -- he/she needs to know rules
to follow and that's it.

    Jirka