Re: Fwd: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:54:15 +0000
To: public-html@w3.org
Lachlan Hunt writes:

> I am asserting that it should not make normative statements regarding
> document conformance because it can, by definition, only describe the
> overlap of the HTML and XHTML serialisations.  All of the constraints
> descrived in it are inherently logical conclusions from the normative
> requirements in HTML5, and as such, do not need to be normatively
> defined twice.
>
> The document should clarify that everything within it is
> non-normative.  Currently, only the introduction is labelled as
> such.

Lachlan, would you object to the Polyglot HTML spec normatively defining
the term "polyglot HTML" (or similar), if the definition were simply
that it's the intersection of text/html and XHTML, and if that were the
only thing that spec claimed to be normative about?

Cheers

Smylers
--
New series of TV puzzle show 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect