Re: Fwd: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:54:15 +0000
To: public-html@w3.org
Lachlan Hunt writes:

> I am asserting that it should not make normative statements regarding
> document conformance because it can, by definition, only describe the
> overlap of the HTML and XHTML serialisations.  All of the constraints
> descrived in it are inherently logical conclusions from the normative
> requirements in HTML5, and as such, do not need to be normatively
> defined twice.
> The document should clarify that everything within it is
> non-normative.  Currently, only the introduction is labelled as
> such.

Lachlan, would you object to the Polyglot HTML spec normatively defining
the term "polyglot HTML" (or similar), if the definition were simply
that it's the intersection of text/html and XHTML, and if that were the
only thing that spec claimed to be normative about?

New series of TV puzzle show 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect