Re: Fwd: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

Lachlan Hunt, Mon, 05 Nov 2012 17:56:54 +0100:
> On 2012-11-05 15:13, Glenn Adams wrote:
>> OK, then go to back to something I asked previously, are you asserting that
>> the Polyglot document cannot or should not make any normative statements?
>
> I am asserting that it should not make normative statements regarding
> document conformance because it can, by definition, only describe the
> overlap of the HTML and XHTML serialisations.  All of the constraints
> descrived in it are inherently logical conclusions from the normative
> requirements in HTML5, and as such, do not need to be normatively
> defined twice.
>
> The document should clarify that everything within it is
> non-normative.  Currently, only the introduction is labelled as such.
  [...]
> I realise that a NOTE can contain normative statements and never said
> otherwise.  Bus, as I have already made clear, my rationale for why
> the document should only contain non-normative statements is
> independent of my rationale for why it should not be a Rec.

So, if I understand Lachlan correctly, then he sees it like so:

a) Polyglot Markup could, even as NOTE, contain normative
   statements, HOWEVER:

b) Even as a NOTE, Lachlan thinks that it should not make any
   normative statements but should instead follow the pattern
   of the introduction and say that nothing in it is normative.
--
leif halvard silli