Re: Polyglot Markup Formal Objection Rationale

From: Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 16:52:02 +0900
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Cc: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, 2012-11-04 20:59 +0100:

> Polyglot is nothing more then just profile of HTML5 which defines subset
> of syntax. There is no reason why definition of such profile shouldn't
> be normative. If you for some reason decide to conform to such profile,
> it's much better if such profile is normatively defined.

While I don't have a personal position either way on whether it's better to
have such a profile normatively defined, I can say that I know others on
the W3C staff and the TAG have expressed that position. The argument is
that the Polyglot specification is normatively defining what a "polyglot
document" is.

  --Mike