Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Consensus on Issue-204 (Updated)

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jonas wrote:
>> However I could easily have missed other implementor feedback. If
>> that's the case a SHOULD level requirement might be ok.
>
> Cynthia wrote:
>> We do want to leave the door open to further development on either
>> accessibility tree or ui-based solutions, in the future, but don't
>> feel that it's ready for a MUST requirement at this time. Personally,
>> I'm not even sure about SHOULD, but am open to discussion on that
>> point.
>
> OK, it sounds like you're both open to considering a SHOUD here.
> Tangible progress!
>
> If we go with a SHOULD for this requirement, and update
> AllowAriaReferHidden to match, do you think we could come to consensus
> on that proposal?

I could live with a SHOULD level requirement (though as usual I only
speak for me and not the rest of mozilla).

However I will note that even if we make it a MUST level requirement,
the spec would only be able to go to Rec is there are two
implementations of that requirement. Presumably those implementations
have to be "good" implementations, and so would have to deal with the
UI issues that Cynthia raises.

/ Jonas