Re: HTML-A11Y Task Force Consensus on Issue-204 (Updated)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:54:15 -0700
To: "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wednesday, May 23, 2012, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
>> While allowing UAs to expose the accessibility tree of @hidden content
>> is great, I think we should make it a MUST level requirement.
>
> My understanding is that some AT implementors believe it would be
> difficult to comply with such a requirement. That said, I agree that we
> should encourage UAs to expose the tree to AT if they are able to. Would
> a SHOULD work for you?

So far I haven't seen such feedback from any implementor. I've only seen me
and Maciej speak up on this and we've both said that implementation-wise
this is similar to exposing an accessibility tree for the contents of
<canvas> elements. Certainly not trivial, but doable and something that
needs to be solved in order to make canvas accessible (which I hope we
agree should be a MUST level requirement).

However I could easily have missed other implementor feedback. If that's
the case a SHOULD level requirement might be ok. But I'd be curious to hear
how that implementor was planning on dealing with canvas.

/ Jonas