Re: Text description for @poster (was RE: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc])

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:53:44 +0000
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Léonie Watson <lwatson@nomensa.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "'xn--mlform-iua@målform.no'" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, rubys@intertwingly.net, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, mjs@apple.com, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Again you're moving to the technical level, which is irrelevant. You
> cannot right-click on the poster and do "view image". So it is part of
> the video.

I think your point about ensuring that the presentation of objects in
the accessibility tree does not confuse users into thinking that they
have interactivity options they don't have is an important one. Users
have expectations about what you can do with an image node in an
accessibility tree.

Having said that:

1. On the one hand, why can't we distinguish between ordinary images
and video posters in the accessibility tree to reflect any differing
available functionality?

2. On the other, why shouldn't a UA offer the ability functionality
specific to poster images, such as a "Open poster image in New Tab"
context menu item? I think UAs are free to do what they want here.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis