Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:07:59 -0400
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "'"'xn--mlform-iua@målform.no'"'" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, rubys@intertwingly.net, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, mjs@apple.com, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
Silvia Pfeiffer writes:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> > Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> >>
> >> <track> is a timed resource. Neither transcript, nor description, nor
> >> posterdescription are timed - they cannot be parsed into cues and
> >> displayed time-synchronously over the video. You cannot misuse the
> >> track element in this way.
> >
> > Hmmm... I don’t recall seeing anywhere where it states that @kind="metadata"
> > was required to be a timed resource - is that specifically stated somewhere?
>
> It's kinda hard to find, but it's there.
>
> For example, the definition of what a text track is in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-iframe-element.html#text-track-model
> lists what a track consists of.
>
> One part of that is a list of cues:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-iframe-element.html#text-track-list-of-cues
> i.e. each track consist of a list of cues. This is independent of what
> kind of text track we're dealing with.
>
> And a little further on the actual definition of a text track through its cues:
> "A text track cue is the unit of time-sensitive data in a text track,
> corresponding for instance for subtitles and captions to the text that
> appears at a particular time and disappears at another time."
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-video-element.html#text-track-list-of-cues
>
> The whole concept of text tracks is built around timed cues.

In retrospect perhaps calling them "text" tracks is an unfortunate
misnomer. "Timed" tracks might have been better, less readily
misunderstood.

I suppose the term "text" tracks is a holdover from the early days when
some of the HTML 5 people hadn't yet grocked the extensive range of
alternative media required to support accessibility, i.e. a "sign
language translation" is not a "text" track, though a caption certainly
is.

I recall our meeting at Stanford some years hence. Those of us from
accessibility who were just joining the HTML 5 work effort found
ourselves rather concerned at how disability support was being called
"captioning," causing us to start insisting on a requirements gathering
phase.

Would future authoring be assisted by changing this to "timed" tracks
now? Some pain, of course, but future gain?

I don't see this as important as other discussions recently in this
thread, but it did seem worth noting.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200