Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 01:37:56 +0100
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, 'Sean Hayes' <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, janina@rednote.net, 'Silvia Pfeiffer' <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, 'Leif Halvard Silli' <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, rubys@intertwingly.net, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, mjs@apple.com, 'Paul Cotton' <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
David Singer, Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:48:32 -0700:

> I would explore in the direction of elements under audio/video and
> parallel to track:

Guess it is a good thing that it could work for <audio> as well.

> (sketching furiously here)
>
> <video…>
>   <track…>
>   <link rel="longdesc" href="…" />
>   <link rel="transcript" href="…" />
> </video>

On the positive side:

I like the use of rel=longdesc. It has been proposed before ... This
solution has the potential to work for other elements too.

On the negative side:

Did you chose <link> because <a> would be considered fallback ...?
Isn't even <link> - until further - just fallback?

In fact, so long as <link> is hidden in the fallback, then it is not
keyboard accessible - regardless of whether you staff it with
@tabindex=. And so, without some workaround for that, then the <link>
would have to be placed outside the <video> element.

> Similarly the tracks could indicate timed accessibility alternatives
> via their "kind" label.
>
> And these are all useful for all users; a programmatic way to find
> the transcript, description, and short text benefit all boats.

In Firefox - and, I think, only in Firefox - the the <link> can, via
CSS, become a visual, clickable element. In fact, it does not need any
styling, so long as you add tabindex= to it or something like that. The
problem is just: How to glue the link to the video in such a way that
it is obvious that it is for the video.
--
leif h silli