(unknown charset) Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:39:08 +0100
To: (unknown charset) Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>, 'xn--mlform-iua@målform.no' <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "rubys@intertwingly.net" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "mjs@apple.com" <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Silvia Pfeiffer, Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:09:48 +1100:
> Therefore, since we agree that what matters is
> the UI and how it functions in the UI, there is no distinction between
> a paused frame and the poster.

On this, I agree with you and Janina.

> Therefore, from a logical and UI point of view, the jpg is
> indeed part of the video and its genesis does not matter.

Right. But what implications do we draw from this?

For example: It was agreed, I think, between David and Sean that the
poster does not need to be taken from the video *file*. But even so:
What if I find a nice picture that I *do* include in the video file, as
its first frame, because some UA that I care about do not support the
@poster attribute?

Thus: I think it doesn't matter that it is part of the video. What
matters is that it - the frame or the more or less accidental image
file - has been chosen as poster. A poster is, in principle, not a
presentational image - the assumption is that the poster tries to tell
us why we should take the time to play the video.
--
Leif H Silli