Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On Mar 21, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>> Browsers already make enough trouble. If they start handling ARIA without
>> giving users an option, that will overstep well defined boundaries.
>
> This definition you mention, where would that be?
>
> Not here: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/introduction#ua-support

Yep, we're reading the same sections.

We're placing emphasis on different clauses as we read.

Primary UAs make a lot of mistakes. I've worked on these lists for awhile now, and I am passing judgment: primary UA vendors are liable to make mistakes that harm the usability of secondary UAs.

If you're a vendor, and you're going to start implementing behaviors based on ARIA, please, please, please make sure there is an on-off switch. That's what I'm asking.

-Charles