Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

On Mar 20, 2012, at 15:20 , Janina Sajka wrote:

> Not at all.  What use is a page of videos if you have to open each one to
> decide whether you wanted to view it in the first place?

But that's not an accessibility problem; that's a problem for everyone. If no-one can tell what the videos or about, or why they visited the page, it's just badly designed content. The poster is not some 'magic key' which uniquely, or even often, provides that information. For all users the purpose and content of the page needs to be clear, and it usually is, in a myriad ways - the tagging, the other elements, names, site names, etc.  It is not true that if you don't 'get' the poster, you are doomed; it's usually fluff, simply there because the first frame (the default poster) is often black.

> We're insisting on accessible ingress as well as accessible
> internal architecture. What use is an accessible restaurant if you can't
> get inside?

What use is a description of the front door, if I am unable to consume what they actually serve?  "Oh, I'm sorry you are starving, but at least you knew that it was a beautiful front door, all lovely blue, with little clouds painted on it." :-(

David Singer