(unknown charset) CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 07:43:50 +0100
To: (unknown charset) Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: (unknown charset) Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
Chairs, Laura and all,

Please accept this change proposal to allow @longdesc on any *embedded*
element in the HTML namespace which has the  implied or specified 'img'
role:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LinkLongdescToRoleOfImg

The main idea of the CP:

* To allow @longdesc on any *embedded* HTML namespace element of
  role 'img': img, iframe, canvas, embed, object.
* To say that @longdesc should only be used for describing images,
  and thus not for describing e.g. tables - tables can be a task
  for ARIA-describedAT, and I justify why in the CP.
* The limitation to embedded content is because, on such elements,
  contextual menus - which is how longdesc is typically presented,
  have pretty good discoverability in non-AT user agents: Users
  tend to use context menus on such elements. Compared to on
  'normal' elements, which usually do not have context menus,
  except a general context menu for to the entire page.

For the video element, then I am open to consider the idea of that
@longdesc could point to a poster description: It makes some sense, as
the poster is an image. But I have so far not included that in the CP.
--
Leif Halvard Silli