Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:10:20 -0400
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org
On 03/14/2012 11:04 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Sam Ruby<rubys@intertwingly.net>  wrote:
>> On 03/14/2012 08:27 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>
>>> In my mind, it is possible that the HTML WG decides that there is
>>> sufficient need for a general mechanism to add off-page textual
>>> representations to certain complex elements to HTML5, elements such as
>>> canvas, img, video, audio, table, or figure. If such a general
>>> mechanism were added - which could be called @longdesc or @href or
>>> @transcript - such a mechanism would fulfill the needs of this issue.
>>
>> Can you cite any existing proposal that, if adopted, would address this
>> need?
>
> The need for a generic attribute to provide linked lengthy text
> representations for complex elements has been emerging.

Perhaps it could be something that html.next addresses.

> There isn't currently a proposal for such an attribute. One reason is
> that we've mainly looked at solving these problems with each element
> individually and haven't really abstracted this as a common problem
> yet. Another reason is that @longdesc could be expanded for such other
> elements, but right now it's not even conformant. Basically, we've not
> had this discussion yet. This is why I am asking for more time on this
> issue for<video>.

If you have something you wish to propose, please do so.  I'll check
with my co-chairs, but my position is that I will not support deferring
something based on the possibility that something that nobody is
actively working on might actually happen.

> Regards,
> Silvia.

- Sam Ruby