Option element in a Datalist with no label

From: Sharon Newman (COHEN) <Sharon.Newman@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:24:14 +0000
To: "HTMLWG WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
With the following code:

<input list="test" type=text>
<datalist id=test>
                <option value="a">
                <option value = "b">
                <option value="c">
</datalist>

According to the spec, these options don't have a label, however, in FF and Opera today the value is being displayed as the label. Is this expected?  If so, should the spec note that this is allowed?

I'm concerned because if the datalist above were instead a select control, these options would be displayed in the select control with no label. We're trying to make sure we have the right behavior for this scenario in IE10.

Thanks,
sharon