Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are the flash based media players generally used accompanied by scripted
> HTML controls or are they in the flash file?
>
> looking at random youtube video controls are in the flash
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1PFq2LuyTs&feature=b-mv
>  same goes for metacafe and daily motion
> http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8202183/god_bless_america_exclusive_clip_silence_is_golden/
>
> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpafej_alain-robert-best-of-2011_sport

Probably most video sites today are using Flash to deliver the video
itself are also using Flash to deliver some of their UI.

I think you'll find that reflects their general deprioritisation of
accessibility in product design and QA, lack of dedicated content
aimed at people with disabilities (e.g. captions, audio descriptions,
sign language interpretation), the Flash-focused skillset of the
developers, and a desire to force ads on users by obfuscating the
using DHTML to drive Flash.

e.g. http://icant.co.uk/easy-youtube/

But if you can point to specific technical problems, please do.

>> switching to HTML5 <video> would require switching to DHTML controls
>
> If this is the case then it is a positive effect of removing the flash
> dependency.

My point is we can gain this benefit without removing the Flash dependency.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis