Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

From: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:45:05 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>

On Mar 13, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>> Again, we should not be aiming to restrict the web to only those applications based on a purely FOSS stack.
>
> That is, in fact, precisely what I and several other important
> implementors on this list are aiming for.

You can aim for whatever you like. I'm saying W3C should not adopt this as its aim because:
1) It's impossible - the web is whatever users and the companies they patronize decide it is
2) It's counterproductive to try and restrict innovation, by restricting the available technologies to those decided by a some subset of developers

> Anything less than that is
> insulting to our users that choose to use a purely FOSS stack, which
> we recognize as a valid and legitimate choice.

Or maybe it's insulting to users to claim that a whole swath of services they enjoy today on the web should not be there ?

ůMark