Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > nothing in the proposal requires a specific CDM to be covered by W3C PP;
>> > nor
>> > does the W3C PP or PD require this; so you are asking for something that
>> > is
>> > out of scope; this is no different from someone defining a canvas
>> > context
>> > that is IPR encumbered and publishing its availability via
>> > canvas.getConext("anEncumberedCanvasContext");
>>
>> Once again, *please* stop attempting to derail conversations about the
>> badness of CDMs by falsely claiming they are "out of scope".
>

> We disagree.
>

>> CDMs are novel, essential pieces of technology for the API.  There is
>> *no reasonable argument* for calling them "out of scope".
>

> Wrong. Other than Clearkey, individual CDMs are not part of what is
> specified in the proposal.

And, *once again*, the fact that the CDMs that will *actually be used*
aren't specified in the spec means the spec is incomplete.  If this
spec moves forward, I will formally object to this lack as well,
because it is not possible to implement the spec in practice without
the CDMs that will actually be used.

~TJ