Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

From: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:22:17 +0000
To: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
CC: "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>

On Mar 8, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Kornel Lesiński wrote:

> While W3C has created some purely theoretical specs in the past, IMHO the good specs were based on actual implementation experience, so I urge the WG not to proceed with this proposal until at least one CDM that meets the (so far unwritten) requirements is prototyped.

According to W3C process [1], implementation experience is expected at the CR stage and required before the PR stage. Is that what you mean ? If not, why do you think a different process should apply to this proposal ?

I think in this case we will get prototype implementations much earlier in the process than required and that this is indeed a good thing.

...Mark

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#q74