Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:13:46 +0200
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Christian Kaiser <kaiserc@google.com>, "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> As I and others have pointed out multiple times, this is not a decision that
> is in Cox's hands. It is a requirement placed on Cox by 3rd party content
> owners. The requirement is very simple: in order to distribute content X
> from content provider P, where P requires that X be protected by DRM/CP
> system S, then Cox must ensure that what is delivered to its customers is
> S(X). Of course Cox (and other commercial video providers) routinely talk
> with content owners and may suggest they choose ClearKey for S, but we can
> only make that suggestion, and not mandate or enforce it.

Why should HTML accommodate your use of precisely S when you've
"chosen" to agree to over-constraining terms? Why do you believe this
should be our problem instead of being your problem? (Not a rhetorical
question even if it might look like one.)

(I put "chosen" in scare-quotes to acknowledge that I don't approve
the "own choice" rhetoric Mark used in the context of CDM integration
terms.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi