Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:57:23 -0000, Christian Kaiser <kaiserc@google.com>
wrote:

>> <object> isn't a good example, as it was a horrible idea.  ^_^
>
> Let me push on this a bit. If you're saying that <object> was a horrible
> idea, does that mean you'd rather have had a world where web video was
> impossible until the first implementations of HTML5 with <video> support
> came out?
> A world where all the great innovation that NPAPI plugins enabled would
> have been impossible?
> How would that world have been better than the one we experienced?

I think Tab clarified, that given IE's innovation freeze and strong
position, plug-ins were in fact a better way to innovate.

Today however, without IE holding back the web, browsers are doing fine,
and couple of the top innovating ones are royalty-free.

And perhaps without avenue to establish ActiveX, IE's position wouldn't be
as strong? Plugins are a double-edged sword.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński