Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 17:20:43 -0700
To: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
2012/3/5 Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 21:29:12 -0000, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>  oh? where? I represent a commercial video distributor (Cox), and Cox is
>> certainly interested in open-source/clearkey CDMs, but as I have
>> repeatedly stated, this is not a decision open to video distributors.. you
>> are simply barking up the wrong tree
>>

> I've meant it interested in a sense that it's going to be a solution you
> actually plan to use.
>
> From what you're saying I take that you're not allowed to use ClearKey,
> and therefore ease of implementation and interoperability of ClearKey
> solution has no relevance to availability of content you distribute.

no, that's not what I said; I said that content owners dictate what DRM/CP
must be used by Cox; Cox could suggest they try something different or
complain or could refuse to license content under their terms, but it
ultimately comes down to what *they* (the content owners) choose and
whether Cox wishes to intentionally handicap its business or not;

it may be in the future that content owners will migrate to ClearKey, but
right now that isn't what they use;

the current proposal supporting multiple CDMs is consistent with Cox
requirements, which are that no single CDM solution be mandated, and that
CDM choices can change over time