Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 11:09:28 +0200
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> When a customer chooses between a new TV with a Netflix badge and one without they don't expect to be able to watch Netflix on the one without the badge.

The concept that the end user has to look for a badge that says a
given browser (potentially embedded in a device) is compatible with a
particular site is antithetical to the purpose of standards as an
enabler of interoperability.

The outcome of standardization should be that any browser that
implements the standards works with any Web site. I think the W3C
shouldn't develop specs to enable scenarios that involve N browsers
having badges claiming compatibility with M sites.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi