Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:42:58 -0800
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> But seriously, I was referring to common customer expectations. When a customer chooses between a new TV with a Netflix badge and one without they don't expect to be able to watch Netflix on the one without the badge.

"a new TV with a Netflix badge" is a deeply troubling scenario.  I
expect my TV to display whatever pixels I push at it.  Having
service-lock-in based on my hardware is just so brain-breakingly bad I
can't imagine how this even crossed your fingers without them cramping
from the blasphemy. :/

This is not what we want for anything, ever, let alone the open web.

~TJ